Thursday, October 13, 2005

The Beauty of Gentoo

Having a Gentoo-based laptop was not enough for me. I needed to have something with more pizazz- so I set about building Gentoo on my desktop as well. This is going to be more of a test environment as I decide which packages I want to use and which I don't - the obvious big one to consider is what sort of GUI Desktop environment I am going to use.

I have several folks trying to pull me in different directions. There are of course the KDE fan boys, who keep telling me something along the lines of "But, it has all these cool apps!". Then there are those who say gnome is superior to KDE in every way, and while it may not have this or that, other stuff like that there and them *require* parts of gnome to be installed anyway. Others keep trying to point me in the direction of the latest and greatest things, but one particular one has stood out for me thus far, in the limited capacity that I have used it.

I am referring to XFCE. It is light weight, and completely configurable - too much so, apparently, for some people. Oh well. More on that later.

I finally have my Desktop successfully running Gentoo, compiled using the Jackass! project's implementation of the Stage 3 on 1 NPTL install method. I am thus far happy with what I have, but as I expand it (now is the time to start adding things like X, a GUI desktop, and real apps) I will know more whether I like it, don't like it, or want to restructure it to suit my needs.

1 Comments:

Blogger joannis said...

i find both your blog ideas pretty interesting...i'm an ex-singer who became a hermit...

18:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home